Team Estill From the Field

Monday, August 29, 2005

Elements of time and a good faith effort, Monday, 29 August, 2005: But for the final restoration of the field, the excavation is complete. Our work today was significant and conclusive. After finding the main data plate yesterday and with it the certainty that this was my father's crash site, all that remained was to complete the excavation of the two engine craters and the cockpit crater. The imprint of the plane, how it fell, and to what extent it was buried and in all probability, dug up for its valued metal after the war, was clearly evident today in the soil. I want to devote some thought and careful attention to this final post so I will gather my thoughts tonight and tomorrow and make a post promptly at 4 p.m. tomorrow when the Internet Cafe opens for business. It seems I will have plenty of time to attend to this as well as to meet with Hans-Guenther in order to identify and label the parts I am bringing home. Let us pray that customs is disinterested in the precious metal in my suitcase. The end of this story, wherein the smallest little part is the most important, is yet to be determined.